A Washingtonian who has 15 plus years as an accountant and auditor for the Federal Government. Gurley knows how government is run and has conducted financial and operational audits in the Office of the Comptroller of Currency, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation and the U.S. Treasury Department. He and his family live in the Takoma area of Ward 4.
Calvin Gurley is married to Charmaine Davis-Gurley and they have two children. His daughter learned to play the violin and the clarinet at the D.C. Youth Orchestra. His son graduated from the University of Maryland - Eastern Shore College. And, the Gurley family has served the District of Columbia, very well.
Sister Carolyn Gurley - Bowling -Advisory Neighborhood Commissioner 6B
Brother Alfred Gurley - 1st District D.C. Policeman, Youth Counselor at Sousa Jr. High Recreation Center and the Benning Road-English's Police Boys and Girls Club.
Brother Earl Gurley - Fire Inspector, D.C. Fire and EMS
Mr. George Gurley ( Close Uncle) - Activist who finally closed down the PEPCO's Benning Road, N.E. power plant from dumping chemicals in the Potomac River and from polluting the air. Many children and residents suffered from upper respiratory illnesses in the city and especially in Ward 6 and Ward 7.
Calvin Gurley service:
* On the Mayor's Blue Ribbon Commission on D.C. Public Housing
- President of the Fairlawn Civic Association. Gurley received grant funding from the U.S. Department of Justice - Youth Intervention Program to help children and offered after school activities.
- Vice President of the first Orange Hat Patrol in the District - Anacostia Chapter. The Anacostia Orange Hats Patrol initiated other chapters in the District and trained many other communities for street patrolling.
- President of the Takoma Civic Association. Gurley conducts the "Back To School Kick-Off" for Ward 4 community children to equip them with school materials and to give encouragement to succeed in the upcoming school year.
- 2011's "Back-to-School Kick-Off" was sponsored by donations from Industrial Bank, the Foulger-Pratt Corporation, Safeway Stores, Domino's Pizza and Hang-Time Barber Shop [donated free hair cuts].
D.C. Residents...it's time to win again,
Win with Calvin Gurley -your next Council Chairman